Keep track of all the latest news and rumors in what should be an active free agency period for the Detroit Lions.
As Detroit Lions general manager Brad Holmes has been saying since the season ended, we’re in the “player acquisition” phase of the rebuild. Things are off to a slow start, as the Lions have only re-signed a handful of players in the lead up to the new league year on Wednesday, March 16 at 4 p.m. ET.
But things are expected to ramp up considerably. Starting on Monday, March 14 at noon ET, NFL teams will be able to start negotiating with agents of players set to become free agents on Wednesday. In some cases, rumors start even before then, as teams have not-so-secretly been talking since—at the very latest—the NFL Combine last week.
So to help you keep up to date with the most up-to-date news about the Detroit Lions, their free agents, and any players they may be considering adding this offseason, this post will serve as a free agency rumor tracker. Any news or rumors (from legitimate sources) will be listed below, and we will update you throughout the next few weeks.
We’ll also have a separate offseason tracker that will keep tabs on the status of each Lions’ free agent and tally all of the additions and subtractions on the roster. That will launch on Monday morning.
For now, here’s your official Detroit Lions free agency news and rumor tracker.
Note: Latest updates will be on top. Reported and official signings will be in bold.
Thursday, March 25
- LB Jarrad Davis — Lions announce they have re-signed Davis
Wednesday, March 23
- EDGE Arden Key — Key now visiting with the Ravens, per Aaron Wilson
Tuesday, March 22
- EDGE Arden Key — Lions “still very much in play” as Key visits Jaguars, per Mike Garafolo.
Monday, March 21
- LB Chris Board — Lions signing Hughes to a 1-year deal
- CB Mike Hughes — Lions reportedly signing Hughes to a one-year, $3.5 million deal, per Doug Kyed
- EDGE Arden Key — Lions hosting Key for a visit on Monday
Thursday, March 17
- TE Garrett Griffin — Lions signing former Saints TE Garrett Griffin (terms unknown)
- QB David Blough — Blough is re-signing with Lions, per Jeremy Fowler
- LB Jalen Reeves-Maybin — Maybin is a signing a 2-year, $7.5M deal with the Texans
Wednesday, March 16
- CB Jeff Gladney — The Lions “could have some interest” in Gladney, per Chris Burke. Gladney was found not guilty of felony assault charges last week.
UPDATE: Gladney signed a two-year deal with the Cardinals.
Tuesday, March 15
- WR Kalif Raymond — Re-signing with Detroit on a 2-year deal
- S Marcus Williams — Signing a 5-year, $70M deal with Ravens, per Jeremy Fowler.
- WR DJ Chark — Lions reportedly signing Chark to a 1-year, $10 million, fully-guaranteed deal
- EDGE Charles Harris — Re-signing on a two-year deal worth $14 million
Monday, March 14
- WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling: Lions one of at least 7 teams interested, per Aaron Wilson.
- WR Christian Kirk is signing with Jaguars, per Ian Rapoport (worth $72 million over 4 years)
- WR Braxton Berrios is re-signing with the Jets, per Schefter
- WR Allen Robinson — Tom Pelissero said on NFL Network that the Lions have reached out to Robinson.
- S Tracy Walker — Re-signs a 3-year, $25 million deal, per Schefter
- LB Alex Anzalone — Re-signs to a one-year deal worth “up to” $4M
- LB Shaun Dion Hamilton — Officially re-signs
- S Jalen Elliott — Officially re-signs
- QB Tim Boyle — Re-signing with Lions on a 1-year, $1.75M deal
- LB Alex Anzalone — This certainly seems to suggest Anzalone is coming to Detroit to re-sign:
Now why would Alex Anzalone be traveling to Detroit?
— Pride of Detroit (@PrideOfDetroit) March 14, 2022
UPDATE: Birkett notes that a deal between the Lions and Anzalone is not done yet, but the sides “are working on it.”
Sunday, March 13
- LB Alex Anzalone — Per Dave Birkett, the Lions have interest in re-signing Anzalone.
- OT Will Holden — The Lions have told Holden they will NOT be offering him a restricted free agent tender, as expected (per Birkett).
- S C.J. Moore — Lions re-sign Moore to a 1-year deal worth up to $2.4M ($800,000 guaranteed), per Ian Rapoport.
- Lions “really hoping” to sign WR in free agency. Interested in Christian Kirk, Braxton Berrios, Russell Gage and D.J. Chark (per Jordan Schultz)
- S Marcus Williams: Detroit mentioned as one of the many teams “coveting” safety Marcus Williams (per Jordan Schultz)
- C Evan Brown — Lions agree to terms on a 1-year deal with Brown (per Rapoport)
Saturday, March 12
- C Evan Brown — Per Dave Birkett, the Lions and Brown (a restricted free agent) have a mutual interest in a new deal.
Thursday, March 10
- LB Bobby Wagner — Lions among at least 12 teams interested in the recently released linebacker, per Jordan Schultz.
- C Ryan McCollum — Re-signs with Lions
- EDGE Rashon Berry — Re-signs with Lions
Wednesday, March 9
Tuesday, March 8
Sunday, March 6
- Per Dave Birkett, the Lions are expected to be “major players” in the free agent receiver market.